31 March 2009

crunchy cool broccoli salad

goodbye fickle march. i hope your girlfriend, april is a hottie. i am more than ready to trade in my puffy coat for a jean jacket and my clogs for cute flats. when spring comes around the produce bins are just as tempting as the easter candy aisle (sweet stacks of strawberries sing my name, the avocados call out to me). here is a fresh fruit + veggie salad to munch for lunch. (broccoli salad is not just for grannies anymore.) my brother pete gave me this delicious recipe.








pete's fresh salad
3 cups chopped Broccoli
2 cups red Grapes, halved

1 Granny Smith Apple, dicced

1 medium red Onion (optional)

1/2 cup chopped Walnuts

Dress it up
3/4 cups Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Sugar

2 tsp. Lemon juice

1/2 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar


Combine broccoli, grapes, apple chunks and walnuts in a medium bowl. Slowly stir in the dressing and mix well until coated. Flavor is enhanced if prepared 24 hours ahead and chilled. Extra delicious when you add any of the following: shredded chicken, sunflower seeds, cucumber and/or craisins. Serve in chilled bowls to keep cool + crunchy.

enjoy.

12 comments:

Diana said...

Yummy...just what I need for the warmer weather (which is on its' way, I promise).

Berta said...

Ohhhh yummmm - d-lish! Thanks for the recipe - I'm gonna make it!

Unknown said...

The salad looks delish! We too have been craving veggies and fruit lately along with the warmest of weather.... Sunshine, Please come soon! -e

Samantha Lee said...

word. hello spring! :) x

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!

leigh said...

yum! thanks for the recipe. my version only has broccoli, red onion, and bacon. i love it, but i'm always happy to change it up a bit!

Anonymous said...

I add caulifower, cheese, sunflower seeds & bacon bits.

My favorite salad that I don't get o eat as often because I am the only one in my family that likes it!

Holly said...

yum! that looks sooo good

summer said...

mmm. crunchy.
us kitchen girls like to make a salad like this at camp.
we'll have to throw in some red onion this summer.

Missy said...

my family does a broccoli salad with rice in it.. mmm, it's the best.

Hil said...

Holy YUM! That looks so good right now. I may just have to make a trip to the produce section. :) Thanks for sharing!

Hannah said...

That looks so good!! Thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...